Under the bridge
The boathouse of the Frankfurt Rowing Club of 1865 - the oldest of its kind in the German inland - has been located on the Main Island since 1871. Marked by several floods and showing signs of aging, the club approached us with a request to develop a modernization concept that would give the rowing club a fresh look. Thanks to the high commitment of the club members, who not only saved for years but also actively supported the construction project with their own efforts, we were able to achieve a maximum result with a minimal budget.
After a completely stripping the boathouse and club room, they were restructured, and the access from the bridge and the two facades were revised under the conditions of historical preservation. The measures relevant to historical preservation primarily included the reorganization of the stair access, which freed the bridge arch and restored the original bridge appearance.
Our design concept considers the two-story boathouse as a structure that is pierced through the bridge arch, creating an active connection to the cityscape. All components were harmonized through a unified color scheme, aiming to bring them together as a harmonious ensemble in a prominent location like the Main Island and in conjunction with the Old Bridge.
Frankfurt am Main